So, I’ve come up with a little theory about why I think my Aussie friends Em and Gwyd are going to love the American South. Incidentally, this theory also helps explain why I loved Tasmania so much.
Both Tassie and Kentucky:
- have profound, and often unappreciated, natural beauty
- are looked down upon by the “cooler” parts of the country
- have a whole set of jokes directed toward them — jokes relating to inbreeding, ignorance, etc. (Seriously, name one thing you know about Kentucky that’s not a) the movie Elizabethtown or b) about hillbillies marrying their cousins)
- have a sort of homey, mellow coolness all their own
- have a legit, growing indie music/art scene
That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. We’ll see if my theory is correct.